#10   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 00:58

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Where, besides at home when we measure how much to use in a recipe for example, is the teaspoon used as unit of measure? In the official guidelines. In my mind, everything I know about the guidelines tells me that's the worst argument I can have in favor of using the teaspoon as a unit of measure of food in the context of discussing the health effects of that food. I mean seriously, aren't we all trying to get as far away from the official guidelines as we can?

The only association I personally make with the teaspoon measure is at home. It's precisely that scenario that I think makes things easier to quantify for most people, particularly those who are unwilling/unable to pay sufficient attention to the rest of the label on the back of the product. For a typical home-based consumer, it's an easy, relatable measure. And if there was one thing that was to be highlighted in this way on the front of packaging, is there anything more important than sugar? Personally I don't think so.

The presence of any teaspoon type references in the official guidelines, to me, is not an automatic reason to oppose the idea outright. The guidelines do actually tell us to limit sugar, just not by as much as we wish it did, and they have other issues that I think are even further removed from what a typical low-carb follower would support, e.g. that grains are healthy and that saturated fat is bad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Overall I agree with the suggestions. Maybe I am being too contentious here. I guess what I really want is that a list of suggestions be as good as I can think of.

I'd like to think we can all agree on this.