#22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/178/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Not the best induction food--but I've mixed grated cheddar with heavy cream. Tastes very much like four percent creamed cottage cheese, at least to me.
What a great idea! I actually misread this and just made a salad. I had a spinach salad mix (with arugula), so I mixed it with sour cream and grated cheddar. I figure maybe 3-4 grams of carbs in what I put in. I added some mayo because it was too thick. Then I added cut-up red bell pepper, some cayenne pepper sauce, and fresh-ground black pepper. Yum! (Finished it, and I am very satisfied with that as a meal.)

Next time I will try heavy cream. I buy a case of pints (12) at a time. I used to call it my "fuel." Coffee with heavy cream!

For anyone in induction, I recommend starting with a prejudice against *any* non-fiber carbs on a label. Reserve the 20 grams of carbs a day, induction level, for natural carbs in vegetables, where it will be mixed with fiber. Fiber is not only filling, it has many benefits. Fat and fiber both slow the conversion of carbs into glucose, so help keep glucose levels and thus insulin, down.

And ditch the fat phobia, conditioned in us from over forty years of propaganda. Fat satiates, and part of how low carb or keto work is the effect of fat on appetite. Enjoy it!

Very important in Atkins. Enjoy your food! (And enjoy life in general.) I have learned to keep foods I love on hand, I've learned what will keep (and what will not).

Ideally, when prepping food, I think about how good it will be! By the time I sit down to eat, my mouth is watering, as it should.

Because I went off the food plan for some years, I gained weight, and at my age (74) it is proving resistant, what used to cause weight loss rapidly no longer does. I understand that is a normal shift with age.

But by going back on the plan for about a year, I did lose ten pounds. But that had stalled, so recently, I decided to try VLC, eliminating almost all carbs. It's working. That may or may not be sustainable, but I'll find that out later. I know that it is reasonably safe, from that very old study with an explorer who had lived with the Inuit.