View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:10

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I made the pound cake this weekend and was pretty impressed with the texture and the overall results. Some notes:

- The bitter flavor of artificial sweetener really comes through, especially when the cake is still warm. It dissipates somewhat when the cake is chilled. I think next time I'll try adding spices or reducing the amount of sweetener to reduce that taste.

- There's no need to use a springform pan. The cake does not stick to the pan; it pulls away from the edges of the pan.

- A springform pan allows melted butter to leak out while the cake is baking -- put a rimmed baking sheet underneath it.

- Beating the eggs into the creamed butter produces a gloppy mess, not at all like using the same method with creamed butter and sugar. It all straightens out when the almond flour is added though.

- I wonder if this enormous amount of butter is really necessary. When the cake is chilled it becomes downright hard because of all the solidified butter. I'd try cutting it by one-quarter next time.

The recipe is worth making, my only hestitation is that it's pretty hard to resist when you know it's sitting in the fridge. The carbs add up when you keep going for another piece.