View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 18:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I went to a volunteer meeting today for the orchestra, and met a lovely woman, who I'd guess to be in her early 70's. We were talking about diet, and I mentioned having lost weight successfully on LCHF.

She told me that she's been part of a study by the NIH for over 15 years now. The participants are encouraged to eat lots of whole grains--she mentioned oatmeal and brown rice--and fruits, keeping fats low. She also mentioned that her blood vessels are lined with plaque, and she can't take statins, so she's seeing a "special" cardiologist about her issues.

I suggested that she do some research of her own, and check, for example, the diet doctor's website. But the whole thing makes me so angry. It bothers me, a lot, that I was taught, and I taught, the low fat, "healthy carbs" garbage for so long.

But to see on the ADA facebook page, and then meet in person, people who have been actively harmed by doing what they were taught was the right way to eat. I wish I believed in hell, right now. There are a lot of people who deserve to go there for what they've done to so many.