View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 23:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:

Well, I made them again today, with the following adjustments made to the original recipe, and they are TO DIE FOR! My roomie suggested putting the balls into the chocolate and then taking them out with a pair of forks (cradled around the ball rather than stuck into it) -- this works wonderfully and is not very messy at all!

Low-Carb Choco Cream Cheese Treats
Makes 12-24 chocolates
12 chocolates - 3.6g CHO 2.4g (0.4 oz) PRO per ball
18 chocolates - 2.4g CHO 1.6g (0.25 oz) PRO per ball
24 chocolates - 1.8g CHO 1.2g (0.2 oz) PRO per ball

Equipment
Water bath:
Very large bowl (at least 3 qt, or you could use a pot that large too)
Glass measuring cup or small bowl (must fit in large bowl with room for water in between)
hot tap water for water bath

Ingredients
1 8 oz pkg. cream cheese (not light) 16g CHO 16g PRO
1 sm. box of sugar free jello 2g CHO 4g PRO
1 pkg Splenda 1 g CHO

2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate 16g CHO (8g fiber) 8g PRO
3 tbsp heavy cream 3g CHO 1g PRO
2 tsp butter 0g CHO 0g PRO
6 or more packets of Splenda to taste (1g CHO each packet)
TOTAL 44g CHO 29g (4.8 oz) PRO

Directions
Mix the cream cheese, jello, and sweetener together, and place in freezer 10 minutes to chill. Form into 1/2 - 1 inch balls and place in a pan lined with wax paper/plastic wrap/aluminum foil. Chill again at least 20 minutes in the freezer.

Place butter and cream in glass measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds on high. Place cup/bowl in large bowl and fill with enough hot tap water to reach the top level of the butter and cream. (Make sure the water is as hot as possible, and replace when water becomes cool enough to leave your finger in.) Pour chopped chocolate into the measuring cup and stir until chocolate is melted. (You may need to change the water once or twice.) Add the sweetener to the chocolate mixture -- add as many as you like to get the taste you like, just remember to add the additional gCHO to your calculations.

Take cream cheese balls out of the freezer and frost them with the chocolate (very messy!), then place them back in the freezer until the chocolate is set. I store mine in the freezer.