View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 17:01

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Ahhhh!! I see!

I think that her post might have been misinterpreted.

She is saying that AFTER induction, when you add more of the starchier/carbier vegetables in (like broccoli), and spreading them throughout the day, a carb addict can become hungry and stall. Spreading them throughout the day does not mean eating 6 times, it means, you are eating those carbie veggies or whathaveyou throughout the day, instead of only during one time. Once a carb addict is hungry, he/she can still have the willpower to continue, but with a low carb snack. Usually, if there was too much insulin released because of a higher carb veggie (or other things allowed on Atkins, but not in CAD) than the hunger can come again in a few hours. Meaning they might feel the urge to snack more often. Whether or not they do in Atkins or whatever else plan doesnt matter, it is just that if they are an ADDICT, they might feel hungry in a few hours. THAT generally leads to snacking or cheats, but again, it DOESN'T matter.

When she said that if you eat more than 4 times a day, does not mean 4 meals. I agree with you, most people on MOST of the low carb plans (including Atkins) eat 2-3 MEALS per day. No one will argue that. However, the difference is that with a carb addict, you simply can NOT snack. A simple diet soda can throw a carb addict's day completely off if not had within a specified time.

The nuts are just used as an example. It is a generally low carb snack those a lot of people turn to. I love nuts and if allowed, I would snack on them just cause I love the texture and taste.

I knew I shouldn't have breathed the word Atkins in that paragraph about the Confession booth. I was just saying that if a thread like this was posted in a forum like that, some people might understand why they are not doing well or stalling in a particular plan, whether it be PP or CAD. If you go through their journals, the main reason why they end up cheating are because they felt hungry or had a craving, or the environment they were in (ie lack of planning ahead when going to a wedding, etc). The environment thing is not the diets problem. It is the persons. The hungry or craving IS not a FAULT of the diet. It is merely because some people go into a plan seeing that it has worked for others and is popular and might work for them too. I just hate to see someone stop Low Carbing because ONE plan did not work. I would rather them try a different plan then continue with the frustration of a multiple month long stall. I know what it is like to do everything a diet tells you to do and not lose wieght, or even worse, gain some.

It is all about the individual, and if you are a carb addict, insulin is your problem. If you are allergic to carbs, then the carbs themselves are the problem. I think that most people are ALLERGIC to carbs. Which means that Atkins and other carb counting plans will be VERY benifitial for that person. However, if you are a carb ADDICT, just limiting your carbs won't help. You have to understand HOW your body releases insulin, WHEN it releases insulin, and WHY it releases insulin. If you can control your insulin release, you can control your addiction.

::sigh::
Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat:
I think my main point is: Be a little less opinionated and more objective when comparing plans. Like I said it's not which one is wrong. Neither are. It's not which one works better. They both do. It's totally up to the single individual person following the diet, and you can't fault that on the diet itself if it fails. Can we?

I really feel compelled to be sarcastic, and have rewritten my response to this paragraph about 5 times so far. I will refrain from doing so though...

Let me put it in the NICEST way possible here: If you look at the comparison for the CAD diet on this website, you'll see a note saying that some people have a hard time with the RM, with no explanation of why. I (along with Zuleikaa) am interested in finding out WHY they have a problem, and why some people don't.

I'm also interested in finding out WHY some people stall on Atkins OR ANY OTHER STRICT CARB COUNTING PLAN for 3 to four months and why some people lose weight at a steady pace. There are MANY reasons why that you have already found out, is it impossible that there are more?? Especially since there seems to be SOME people who have really adverse reactions to carbs, but not sugar substitutes and low carb foods. And there are SOME people who do not get adverse reactions, yet still get hungry and lethargic after eating meals, but feel really good while eating them. THERE MUST BE A DIFFERENCE. And since EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, we can not say that the only reason why people on CAD can handle the RM is willpower. It just ISNT SO!

I will never say that Atkins or CAD is better than ANY other plan out there. YOU WILL NEVER SEE ME POST THAT. I completely understand it is not about which is better than the other. However, I do feel that some are better for DIFFERENT people. Not everyone will do well on Atkins, as with not everyone will do better on CAD. PLEASE stop telling me that, as I ALREADY UNDERSTAND. I would care less about addiction vs. allergy if I thought one or the other was better.

Another thing, you said:

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat:
It's totally up to the single individual person following the diet, and you can't fault that on the diet itself if it fails. Can we?

YES, we can! Otherwise, why did the low fat diet I was previously on NOT WORK FOR ME??????? Should I have stayed on it longer? Should I have thrown away the idea that maybe, JUST MAYBE, I should try a low carb plan, because perhaps, it may WORK FOR ME????? Or should I have taken your advice? And said, no, it is totally up to the single individual person following this diet, and I can not fault my low fat diet itself if I'm not losing weight and always hungry, can I? Or should I?

Listen, I really don't wish to stir things up with you, and to me, your posts are very defensive of the Atkins diet. It is too defensive because no one ever said that Atkins diet was wrong or anything. In fact, no one even said that Atkins followers eat more than 2-3 meals!! Please go through and read them again, (walking on ICE HERE) not because you can not understand the english language or have poor comprehension. But because maybe you misinterpreted something?? Is it possible??

Please, I do not want you to feel like I am attacking you personally, but really, it seems like all Zuleikaa was trying to do was post her opinion on allergy vs. addiction. God forbid she mention the word Atkins ever again. Perhaps she should say, "low carb counting plan"? Technically, CAD could be that as well... please, enlighten us with a term deemed appropriate so that we may avoid using the Atkins plan as an example. If that is what it takes, then seriously, I would appreciate it, because I do not enjoy "run-ins" like this, especially over something so innocent....