#34   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 22:35

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex18092
In my experience most professions have some sort of distribution of people, from good to bad. There are good doctors who are really interested in helping me, and there are bad doctors who only see me as income source.

The trick is finding the good one. It took me a while to find my doctor (a good one), but that was not easy.

The distribution we find in any population is reflected everywhere else. There's this idea that docs are better - more good - people than the rest of us because of the nature of the profession. Conversely, there's this idea that army grunts (for example) are all pretty much stupider than the rest of us. The fact is there's the same distribution of good and bad (and, smart and stupid, and ignorant and knowledgeable, and strong and weak, and fast and slow, and so forth according to the parameter we use to compare) in all professions, cuz they're made up of the same population from which they come from. They're not born into special populations.

On the other hand, there is a tendency for people to go toward professions that agree with their preferred behavior. Furthermore, there's the tendency to learn this behavior directly from our environment so that a local population of fishermen, for example, will tend to produce more fishermen than other populations.

For our purpose though - docs - the single most important factor is money. Nobody does 12 years of higher education to work at minimum wage. The second most important factor is dogmatization of the profession. When is the last time a doc told you to get a second opinion? For me, never (think about that for a moment to realize the significance here). Conversely, second opinion is the de facto business model for countless essential services, from a car mechanic to a house repairman and everything in-between. This is why there's the free estimate as standard practice. The docs profession is so dogmatized that even very smart people have trouble with a) recognize it and b) extirpate themselves from it to even begin to offer some kind of alternative diagnosis and/or treatment.

Consider yourself lucky to have found just the one good doc. I won the lottery a few times, just a few bucks here and there, but still, that's several orders of magnitude more success than finding a good doc cuz I found exactly zero of that stuff.