Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 09:35
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon1
I have been following the Akins diet for four weeks with a loss of 3.4 pounds in one month. I am 57. I do drink diet coke, diet teas with no carbs listed on the label. I did try to do the fitday site, but the site was not easy for me to figure out. I belong to the akins site, but I have trouble with double checking every item for carbs. Eggs have 0.6 carbs. I do measure and weigh the salads and veggies. I do have one Adkins bar or Shake with a total of 5 carbs tops. I measure all dressings. So without taking apart the labels on foods I am getting 20 net carbs. This may sound silly to everyone, but I do not want to take apart every food eated and double check every label and count every carb in the ingredience list. Do I have to count every diet coke as 2 carbs because of the sweetner? Can I do low carb "the easy way" or in order to make this work? I have been staying on the approved food lists.

Back when I still drank Diet Coke, I didn't count it as anything, so I wouldn't worry too much about this angle.

In terms of doing low-carb the 'easy way' - if you stick to mostly non-processed foods you won't have to count. It's the bars and processed foods that we have to be careful of, and always read the label.

Know what makes low-carb 'easy' for me? Not buying much stuff with ingredients listings.

If I were still on Atkins induction - I'd be measuring out my salads, my cooked vegetables, my salad dressings, and any/all dairy portions - making sure I was sticking to the limits as specified in the Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book (or whichever version you're following - there's a group of people here who like to follow 'old-style' Atkins using the 1972 version of the book). If you keep to the overall 'rules' in whichever book you're following - you'll find this gets easier and easier.

I wouldn't recommend eating Atkins bars on a regular basis - keep these limited, or preferably - eliminate them altogether. Then, you won't have to 'count' as much. Better to go 'over' on the veggies than to go over on the bars.

Hope this helps - and good luck!