Thread: Zero Carb, wow!
View Single Post
  #147   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 03:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

A lot of people are assuming he's cycling off of steroids and that's why his testosterone is a bit low. That's a place I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, since he's got no obvious signs of testosterone deficiency, whatever the cause of it being low is.

As far as the blood glucose goes--even within zero carb, that just leaves plants out, there are still different ways to approach things, different fat/protein ratios, different meats, different parts of the animal.

Also there's no reason to assume that if you managed to fix the blood glucose thing, everything else would go to heck.

http://cholesterolcode.com/thoughts...wn-bakers-labs/

Dave Feldman has an interesting take;

Quote:
Ironically, I just got done talking about this on Ketoconnect’s podcast (airing in a couple months). In fact, Lean Mass Hyper-responders (LMHR) are actually the most likely to have a fasting glucose in the 90s or even over 100s while also sporting a fasting insulin below 3. Moreover, this profile typically has lower blood ketones (BHB) when testing compared to their more sedentary cohorts. (I’ll have a blog post on this soon)

I myself tend to be on the borderline of a LMHR or just past the line when fully keto. In that context, I often have fasting glucose in the 90s or lower 100s and an A1c of between 5.5 and 5.7. And that’s bad, right? Creeping back toward risk of Type 2 diabetes? I certainly don’t think so given my average fasting insulin of 3 or less.

But wait — Baker is much, much higher, right? Almost 20% higher in both fasting glucose and A1c. Surely he’ll be piling up the insulin resistance as we don’t see these numbers in any other low carbers, yes?

Energy Demand Leading to Higher Glucose Sparing?
This is where I part ways with so many people in and out of LCHF. What got me into cholesterol in the first place was seeing how it was really just “ridesharing” in a larger energy metabolism. So energy delivery and homeostasis on a greater network-level scale is what I continue to find endlessly fascinating. I’ll let the Benjamin Bikmans and Michael Eades of this world tackle the finer details of the mitochondria, I want to know how the Human OS manages to traffic that energy to our cells so effectively in the first place.

Which brings us back to Baker. This isn’t any ordinary guy. He isn’t just working out for recreation, he’s an athlete’s athlete. He’s training to break these various world records in addition to a variety of other workout regimes. So if you observe (as I do) a degree of adaptive glucose sparing as being more common with low carb athletes, what do you suppose it would be like for this human cyclone?

It’s not enough to just think of where his cells are getting their energy, you have to think of how timely it needs to be at a systemic level. Is Baker more of a slow jog in the morning kinda guy? No. Is he more of an exploding HIIT adventurer that is probably keeping high muscle confusion? Yes. The latter suggests more need for glycogen stores in the muscle with a strong rotation of glucose via the liver.

This is why I asked Baker and many other low carb athletes to please do more testing for us if they (heaven forbid) get injured or for some reason can’t exercise intensively for a period of time. I suspect in such cases if all other things were equal, their fasting glucose would drop. This is what happened to me when comparing my morning glucose in and out of marathon season.

Maybe the high blood glucose is a result of all that exercise. Is that good for him? I don't know. Baker's heading a movement right now. Try this, see what happens. More experimenting to see what happens if things are approached a little different--a month of a bit less protein, a more moderate exercise regime, to see what happens, wouldn't kill the guy, and if it resulted in lower blood glucose, it would give ammo against the naysayers. Right or wrong, some people are going to see those blood glucose numbers and run the other way, people who might have been helped but will see this as evidence against zero or even just low carb.

He goes on to describe Baker's lipid profile as being actually pretty good.