View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-17, 09:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Congrats, Andante! You are almost there

I found my maintenance by finding myself a bit too thin (this was years before e serious illness I have discussed on here made me seriously underweight). It was just thin enough that many friends/family had asked if I something was bothering me. I bumped up the carbs until I found the sweet spot. So I guess I did it in reverse, compared to how you are supposed to determine it!

In terms of upping carbs....I found my blood sugars did best under 35 (minus fiber) per day. What took YEARS to try is that I can't eat very small portions of higher carbs foods like a few berries and it is fine. It just have to fit in my macros for the day. Granted I would never try to brave things that are too tempting for me like popcorn, bread, crackers..... But eating something like honey roast peanuts (which have 5 net carbs) is fine for me. For you, it might trigger binging/cravings.....
I had divided foods into strict camps- healthy perfect low carb and off limits. What I found is it really is dose for me, and overeating low carb foods can make me binge/crave just as easily as a higher carb food like an apricot. I need to watch portion sizes to keep things under control for weight, blood sugar and cravings.

If I had followed a plan like Atkins from the start instead of doing my own thing, I might have tried a little low sugar fruit or such much earlier, and been less afraid.

As always, my best advice is try one new food at a time, for multiple days-week to see how it effects you. You can't test more than one variable at one time!