View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 09:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Nope, I can't have oats either (I even tried the certified gluten free oats- they made me just as sick as wheat) and Kellog's Rice Krispies is made with barley malt, a source of gluten.

But I really prefer hot cereal anyway. Cold cereal needs to be eaten with milk. I'm allergic to cow's milk and "don't do so great" with goat's milk. The unsweetened almond milk is pretty bland, and the sweetened is MUCH higher in carbs than I actually need. I find a bowl of hot cereal warm and satisfying, and I can make it extra creamy by cooking it with more water, making it a "bigger bowl" but with fewer carbs.

I was doing really well by eating my usual LC diet (focusing on plenty of protien, fat, and LC veggies) and adding in 2 starch portions per day, at lunch and dinner, or dinner and bedtime snack.

But things have been pretty crazy around here this week (we finally got bunkbeds for the girls on Tuesday, so that was insane crazy work cleaning the rooms to make room to move beds, going to IKEA, assembling the bed, etc) and I've been eating more starches AND sugars because they're quick and easy.

I've discovered that eating carbs at breakfast leaves me tired. Eating carbs later in the day, along with plenty of protien and fat, leaves me satisfied, and I actually eat fewer calories this way. But sugars leave me craving more carbs, and eating carbs by themselves (say, a corn muffin for breakfast rather than eating some eggs and then having half a corn muffin) leads me to consume more carbs and calories and feel lethargic and hungry. The only time I can tolerate sugars is if I didn't eat enough carbs earlier in the day and I need some carbs at bedtime.

I haven't been too sucessful the past week, and I feel some extra fat around my belly. I really do need to focus on my diet still. Eating 60-70g of carbs per day is working better for me than eating 40g of carbs per day. But I need to be careful not to let that turn into 120+ grams of carbs per day! Before it was "I can't have corn muffins, period." Now that starches are "legal" for me, it's hard at times to remember moderation.

Oh, and we almost had a house fire last night. The toaster didn't turn off properly and DD's English muffin literally burst into flames. I'm planning to post the whole story to my journal in a minute.