View Single Post
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 01:13

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Lightbulb Holy Moly!

Ah, the pretty Natrushka, I gotta tell you what happened with my bright idea for your 'mock danish'!

I was thinking about all the protein I had NOT had today that I should have, and it was too late for a meal. I wondered what would happen if I used a scoop of my new protein powder (Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Vanilla Ice Cream flavor which smells downright yummy) in the mix for your mock danish. I decided that since it might be strong (I didn't know) I'd double the recipe. So I tried:

1scoop OptN VIC PrPowder,
2 eggs,
4oz cream cheese,
2pkt splenda,
3caps orange extract,
some cinnamon.
Nuke 4mins.

I put this in a kinda deep round soft-plastic bowl, every spring/summer they sell these at super walmart for picnics and kids. It poofed up to about 3.5-4" high... and stayed there, and stayed round.

I let it cool and took it out. Poked at it with a fork. It was so... so... SOLID! After eating some of it, I got to peeking 'inside' it, lots of hollow spaces like air bubbles.

I bet if I'd oven baked it in something, it would have been even more solid-seeming.

First the BAD news: It was the most bland thing I have ever eaten. Bizarrely, it didn't taste orange, or eggs, or the protein powder -- it was sort of weirdly "undecided" about what it should taste like. I wasn't real fond of it, but I didn't dislike it either, it was just too bland to even register an opinion except that eating it was boring!

And then I thought -- BREAD! I MADE BREAD! BRRREEEEEAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

I could just slice this up and put a tuna-mayo mix on it! Or my garlic-cheese mix! Or...

I stuck the rest in a ziploc, and I'll try that tomorrow morning.

And now, I have a solution for the fact that I've got all kinds of yummy spreads for bread, including meat-stuffs -- but darn it all, no bread, and the LC stuff I see looks pretty icky.

Thank you!!!

Now to work on arranging an actual TASTE for it...

[editing this:]

The Accidental Bread

Following the above, Nat, here's a breakdown and thoughts --

egg 2 'large' each have 0.61carb 74.5cal 6.24prot 5fat S:1.55 P:0.68 M:1.9
cream cheese 4oz each 1oz has: 1carb 2prot 100cal 10fat
optimum nutrition protein powder 1scoop vanilla ice cream flavor carbs 2 prot 22 cal 110 fat 1.5
using a plastic bowl of some kind, something ~4"x4" and at least 4-5 inches high on the sides would be great
microwaving for 4 minutes

something else is needed here -- for flavor. It had none worth eating. It wasn't openly 'bad' (I've had some atkins stuff I think tastes pretty bad!) -- but I didn't really wanna eat it plain, either -- it'll just take some experimenting to find some spices or something that make it yummy.

carbs: 8.42
protein: 42.48
cal: 659
fat: 51.5

Depending on width of bowl, if it's reasonably small but high (normal bread-size for example, round or square ) this cooks up high and solid. Cut into 5 slices (it could make a few more if they were really thin) this would be per slice:

carbs: 1.684
protein: 8.496
cal: 131.8
fat: 10.3

Which is really not bad at all for having some bread you can pile high with sandwich toppings... and a heck of a lot of protein for 'bread' no less... I'm wondering what it would be like with some potassium salt (I think it didn't want to be sweet like I tried to make it), some parmesan, some minced pepperoni, some oregano and red pepper flakes. Next time, I'll try that. PIZZA BREAD! It could happen!

I'm going to happily eat it as bread tomorrow regardless, with sandwich stuff on top. It doesn't have enough of a taste either way to interfere with anything I might want to put on top of it. I credit the type of protein powder for this, though. I'm sure atkins shake or bake mix, which I've been using until tonight, would be a pretty hideous result.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for adding tastiness, because the protein powder killed all the yummy taste -- again, it doesn't taste BAD, it just tastes BLAND, it needs something, anything. Every good 'bread' spice I think of -- Rye, caraway -- is a seed! Grains, oh no!

PJ