Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 19:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiedo
as usual haven't logged in for awhile. i have been doing ok on my semi lowcarb plan, losing steadily but very slowly. i try to keep it under 72 carbs. my problem is re-occuring diverticulitis. my last bout was pretty bad and when i told my doctor i was doing lowcarb, but not extreme lowcarb, she wanted me off this and just a plain high fiber diet with beans and lentils instead of meat products....so, does anyone else have experience with this problem and if so, what have you done about it?

Hi Dottie, a fellow diverticulitis sufferer here.

Firstly, have you been able to pin down any triggers for your diverticulitis attacks? The reason I ask is that, once I eliminated nuts and seeds ( ) from my diet, it has only ever been high fibre vegetables that have produced an attack. And now, my diverticuli are so sensitive (I am having surgery fairly soon - ick!) that I can eat very few vegies without penalty. So going on a really high fibre diet would have me immediately in hospital on IV antibiotics and a morphine drip.

If I were you, I would just carry on as you are (assuming you are able to keep your attacks at bay), and just not tell your doctor what you are eating. Just tell her you are eating lots of healthy food, which you are. However, my advice (if you want it) would be to lower your fibre intake, not raise it. But that's completely up to you. I can only tell you how it has affected me, and wish you very good luck.