View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 07:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Here is the dumbest part...the studies that show saturated fat is bad are far less scientific. One, that some Anti-Saturated Fat types have latched onto...studied 9 men who were in perfect health and had great cholesterol. They locked them in a building and fed them nothing but meat, eggs, and cream for a month. When they tested them at the end, their TOTAL Cholesterol (no mention of LDL/HDL ratio) had gone up.

How is it that anyone can tout studies like this, with only 9 participants, who were fed an all-meat diet (not Atkins) for only a month...Yet, they can dismiss studies with 120 participants, fed exactly according to either Atkins or AHA Guidelines, over 6 months ??? I'd love to know what conditions their other Anti-Saturated fat studies were done under. I'd bet most were far less scientific than these Pro-Atkins studies.

Maybe the AHA should do a long-term CONTROLLED study...As I doubt they've ever done so. Alot of the studies they rely on are not too well controlled. For example, finding that people who eat lots of vegetables are more healthy, does not take into account other aspects of their diet. Was the rest of their diet more Atkinsish or more AHAish ??? Despite what they'd have you beleive, Atkins is very high in green vegetables (the best kind).