View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 23:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Flintstone,

I'm a Type 2 diabetic. The most important ? is: what meds is your DH on? Does he have a good understanding of carbs to blood sugar? The first month or so of LC eating I would advise that he checks blood glucose (BG) 4 x daily. An initial visit to the doc would be good to discuss lowering meds as BG goes down AND keeping track of finger stick results! If he takes glyberide (Diabeta) this med could give him a hypoglycemic reaction if it is not reduced as he starts LC. Glyberide makes the pancreas produce more insulin. Glucophage (Metformin) is not a hypoglycemic drug & does not have this affect on the pancreas. It won't put him into a medical crisis if dosage remains unchanged with the start of LC.

I adjusted my meds on my own, however my doc trusts me to be sensible. BTW, I was on 5mg glyberide, 2.5 mg morning & evening. I still take 500 mg glucophage 3 x day. In the early days of diabetes, I always checked with the Dr before changing my dose but after 3 yrs experience the doc trusts my judgement & I see my Dr frequently and always advise of any changes ASAP. We are partners in managing my diabetes, where my input is as important as the Dr. This is way cool!

I would suggest that you buy a copy of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Every diabetic should have their own copy. Photocopy the relevant pages that explain carbs/BG/insulin relationship and give to the doc if there are any objections to LC. DH should read Atkins, PP and Bernstein b4 seeing Dr. so that he fully understands why LC WOL is worth trying. Being rock-solid sure that LC is good for one's health is vital if you suspect opposition from the medical folks (or anyone else)

You can check out some chapters from Bernstein's book here.

Another forum to have a look at is Low Carb and your Health: Diabetes and Insulin.

Good luck!