View Single Post
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:28

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%
Thumbs up LC is working for me

So far, I am beginning to believe that I am going to be able to change my WOL.
I decided to look into LC after joining weight watchers. I had looked at it before and my mind rebeled at the thought of eating fats and cheeses and meats all the time after years of being pounded over & over by the establishment that high-fiber, low-fat is the ONLY way. I kept telling people that the main reason I was having trouble losing weight is b/c I am a carb addict. I kept saying it but not "listening" to what I was saying. Then I started reading the message boards, and I found out about PCOS...
Hubby & I have been ttc (trying to conceive) for almost a year. I went off birth control in April of 2002. In Sept, I started doing some research & some soul searching. I kept denying that my weight could have anything to do w/ me not getting preg. - had to be something else so I started taking a battery of herbal suppliments.
Then I gave in & said - Yea, it's got to be the weight, but instead of doing a healthy diet, I took OTC w/l drugs and basically starved myself w/ an extremely low cal, low fat diet. I lost 15 pounds, but still, nothing. I got frustrated and went back to my old habits & gained 20 pounds over the holidays.
Anyway, my research on PCOS kind of pointed me in the right direction. I am a carb addict, too much carb = insulin overproduction, insulin op = infertility. hmmmm - did not take rocket science to put 2 + 2 together. The other issue I was trying to deny was the fact when I got pregnant with my daughter 7 years ago, I was on a LC diet and had lost 15 pound in about a month. I am assuming now that me lowing my insulin levels probably stimulated me to ovulate properly and thus, conceive. I am praying (and feel free to throw a few prayers my way) that by making this a change for life, I will now, hopefully, get pg, and be able to maintain weight loss (after the baby is born of course).

This is my "story", so to speak. I am so glad I found this message board and hopefully, w/ the support of my family & internet friends, will make this a WOL & make it work!

Beth