#12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-18, 16:27

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
I agree that any diet that completely cuts out refined sugar and flour is a huge step in the right direction and even with the curtailed amounts of fat she lists, weight loss will happen with most people. My sis inlaw finds it difficult to eat the amount of veggies required (most of which is in the form of salad greens) and I suspect this is what keeps a person on the program satiated.

I was wondering in the video about the engagement party why she found the veggies in the little cups of dip to be impossible to navigate - this explains why she insisted she would have needed about 40 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I didn't learn a lot about the diet from my friend - one, she was traveling alot at the time, and two, it didn't really interest me as I had found my own way by then. But I seem to remember her making a big pot of beans just about every day; now THAT would keep me full, but also probably give stomach aches. Also, LC is called "restrictive" by some, but my friend had to eat certain things at certain times, so going out to eat was a major problem. Kind of MY definition of restrictive.
I say this all in the past tense, but I think she is still doing it. Has been out of state for the last several months, so I haven't actually talked with her in quite a while

Cutting out the flour and sugar is most definitely a huge step in the right direction - but I can't imagine eating huge amounts of salad greens or beans every single day. Just too darn much fiber for some guts to handle without causing bathroom issues. Not to mention that if I was eating a big pot of beans in the course of a day, that would be entirely too many carbs for this metabolism to handle without setting off the blood sugar roller coaster.

Being forced to eat certain things at certain times - well, that's fine if you don't mind doing it, and your schedule can accommodate it. Personally, my work schedule is different every single week, very often different from day to day, and I never know when (or even if) I will get a break at work. (I work in a grocery store - no eating or drinking allowed on the job) Eating a specific thing at a specific time just wouldn't work out. I need food that sustains me for hours and hours and hours, just in case I don't get a chance to eat during work hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susky2
I haven't looked deeply into the program, but I'm also fearing that she's putting a lot of stock into psychological issues. On her main page, she mentions leptin, but only describes it as the hormone that makes you eat less and want to work out more.

There is a lot more to metabolic processes and hormonal interplay with eating and weight maintenance. It's not just about the willpower and mental approach. Placing it all on psychology is to toe the line of shame and potentially lend credence to starvation and workout maniacs like Jillian Michaels (another person who is known for "boot camps").

To be sure, there are psychological issues involved in obesity, especially if you've been fighting your weight and an uncontrollable appetite for several decades.

But in general, there is entirely too much emphasis in the weight loss industry on will power, and I would imagine the whole idea of all those salad greens and beans is to provide huge amounts of fiber to keep you full, with that fullness providing a lot of the needed willpower.

I don't need for my stomach to feel full to bursting from stuffing a ton of beans and greens into it - I just need to feel satiated, a state which is easily reached with a decent amount of protein and fats, with or without a little bit of green veggies or a few berries. That, along with the fact that protein and fats don't set of the blood sugar roller coaster is enough to keep me satisfied for hours.

If people are having success with her BLE diet, fine - it just seems awfully restrictive to me, especially if you can't even enjoy the foods you can eat at a party, and will instead choose to just not eat. (I've been to parties where the only LC foods were some cheese, veggie sticks, and some berries - I did just fine on those)