#26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein, formerl Atkins
Stats: 375/237/222 Male 71 inches
BF:BMI 51/33/31
Progress: 90%

CajunBoy,
I've been able to reduce my meds very substantially, and my BS's too, through VLC dieting, but have not managed to eliminate them altogether.

When I started LCing (on Atkins) almost 5 years ago, I was maxed out on MET (2000mg/day) and GLY (20mg/day) and starting Avandia, because my FBG was 155. I dropped the Avandia within a week, cut the MET and GLY in half soon after, and cut them both in half again a few weeks later. Trying to stay on Induction (20 net carbs per day) I lost 60 lbs in about 9 months and stayed on just 500 MET and 5 GLY for the next 3 years.

Last summer I gained back 12 pounds (lots of ice cream, etc.), so I started Bernstein in October and in 36 weeks have lost 72 pounds. I also cut the GLY to 2.5mg and then to 1.25mg. and then eliminated it altogether. I still take 500 MET. My BS's were lower when I was taking GLY but my FBG average is about 100 (vs. 95 before). I continue to lose 2 lbs/wk. average. I take lots of supplements, and do not exercise. I am very active, however, spending 5 or 6 hours in the garden and on 'projects' every day.

Besides eating on average 30 carbs (20 net) per day, I try to limit my protein to 80 grams per day and my fats to 90 grams -- 1,250 calories total.