View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-12, 09:27

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

I have....twice now!

I quit last January on Chantix and made it 6 months smoke free but then I managed to convince myself that an occasional smoke would be no big deal. I was wrong.

That one smoke in a weak moment became two then three and then...well, you get the idea.

So I went back on Chantix about 2 weeks ago. I smoked longer than the one week allowed when starting but as of 2/20 I am now smoke free.

Problem with Chantix is that it is definitely not for everyone. I do okay on it except it causes me insomnia problems but I take a mild sleep aid at night while I'm on it. Luckily I don't get any of the behavior changes that are possible while on this drug.

My goal is to get off Chantix after one more month so that I'll be on it for only 6 weeks. I took it much longer last year and I think that is way too long to be on it. I did have a bout of depression when I quit taking it last time around but I think part of that was because I'd been on it so long.

I like to think of Chantix as a short term tool to get me over the first month of quitting. It helps immensely to diminish my cravings and gives me time to break the old patterns.

My advice...pay attention to how you're feeling. If you're suddenly feeling depressed, anxious or generally angry, you can bet it's the Chantix. Also, a lot of people experience nausea with it and I do too if I take it on an empty stomach. So my morning dose is taken with 3 tablespoons of whipping cream..the fat seems to stem the nausea.

Good luck! Congrats on making the first steps to giving up smoking... I like being a non-smoker better than being a smoker so that too is another motivation for me.