#26   ^
Old Tue, May-08-18, 13:33

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
I cook a lot of cajun food and have found that browning oat fiber in your oil makes a pretty decent roux. Thickens slightly and more importantly, gives you a browned flower taste to the gravy/recipe like a real roux. I order my oat fiber at Honeyvillegrains on-line.

Thank you! The oat fiber did work well. It's a little bit of skill required as a cook because the color starts out brown rather than white like wheat flour. So gauging when to stop "browning" the roux was dicey. It smelled a little weird too, but that went completely away after adding with all other ingredients.

My wife and two other people who are not low carbers loved the gumbo. I did too. It really did have that depth of flavor very near what flour gives.

To enhance the thickening, I used zanthan gum. I keep some in a fine holed shaker (like a salt shaker) and shake over/into soups, stews and sauces a little at a time. It gives a lot of control over the adding of the zanthan and eliminates any clumping.

A BONUS! I was also experimenting with different flours, etc I had bought while deep frying chicken wings (regular cornstarch coated for the non low carbers) and the oat fiber was a big winner in low carb coating! It really enhanced the chicken wings almost as good, and in some way better than cornstarch...and zero net carbs!

I'll be trying some other different deep fry's with that stuff, tis the season here in the Mid Atlantic for deep frying after all! I fry out in my garage with all the doors open, so I dont deep fry as much in the dead of winter or heat of summer because I also air condition my garage.