#9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-23, 10:31

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSB
I am trying really hard not to see irony in this messaging.

Perhaps her products were all natural, minimally processed, whole foods rather than heavily processed concoctions of chemically laden, ultra processed, food-like substances…

She specifically calls out the “Got milk” campaign as damaging, though it isn’t clear she even sold milk alternatives (and those alternative products are selling very well in the US).

Did I miss a campaign to take down black bean and mushroom burgers?

The more damaging messaging against her product space would seem to be “minimize ultra-processed foods”. Is the evil “meat industry” responsible for that? Is that “misinformation”? “gaslighting”? It is a message that has a firm grip on me, but I got that bias from 1970’s era “health nuts” followed by actual nutrition science, not from “meat industry” propaganda.

She supplied fast-food in the form of “sausages” and “fish fingers” to McDonald’s. I guess that ends my attempt at sympathy.

My older daughter lives in England and just happens to not only be lactose intolerant, she's also allergic to fish and seafood.

So she might actually be interested in whatever milk substitute and fake fish Heather is pushing.

For some reason she insists that the lactose-free milk available in the US doesn't keep, so she generally gets soy milk to use on her cereal when she's here, since she says the soy at least has more nutrition in it than the almond and oat milks do.

As far as fish is concerned though, she just avoids anything and everything that has fish and seafood in it. I think she really misses it though, and might be interested in something like fake seafood.

For someone who is allergic to certain foods, I can understand seeking out some kind of substitute when they miss the foods they're allergic to, just like I use some LC friendly substitutes for high carb foods.

But I don't think Heather is looking at the situation that way - I get the impression that she thinks everyone needs to fall into lock-step with her beliefs that all animal products are bad for you. (Even though I suspect even she believes the main thing that animal foods are bad for is actually her bank account.)