#14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-23, 06:34

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I think that because Terry Wahls began focused on health, her own health and progressive disability from MS, and not on weight loss, she approached things differently than someone who starts out with weight loss as the primary goal.

I read Terry Wahls book for my autoimmune, and she had so much insight. Most prominently was viewing it as one disease with myriad symptoms. Currently, we treat it as though all smallpox patients should be sent to a dermatologist. And it inevitably leads to horrifying side effects from those immune-suppression drugs. (At least, they seem to have the worst warnings in the commercials.) I'm not a transplant patient. I'm balancing different risks.

Except the book presented -- at least the version in late 2018 -- as though abundant veggies were non-negotiable. While i appreciated everything she said, I KNEW I could not possibly eat that many vegetables simply from an appetite point of view. But I'd hit my fiber limit before coming close to what i needed. By which time I also knew I had to watch out for lectins, too. So I went carnivore. With great results.

But it turns out it might have been oxalate all along, especially in my case. I take so well to carnivore that I suspect my "plant tolerance" is far lower than average.

But now I think her research might get trapped in the plant-based vortex. A healthy plant-based diet with health properties is what her grants were for.

In a personal note on her site she said she was highly keto now, restricting her "beloved black beans" to a few summer salads. But while I'm pleased she's doing well with it, of course, I wonder how much she and I are outliers, now.

In the end, perhaps autoimmune gets so much relief from keto because it's a symptom of plant intolerance

What I love about Marty's system is how it uses a glucose meter to tell you what is going on, and I have used it with great effect on DH. I got him a free meter. Seeing his blood sugar after a formerly favorite meal was his first food wakeup call.

JEY's success shows how much we have to tweak. Which becomes an ongoing skill as we and our bodies change.