View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 08:27

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

While not very specific, here is my take on vitamins,etc.

RDA is a poor recommendation for optimum nutrient levels. THe levels were decided upon based on preventing a disease, the disease that a defficiency in a specific vitamin will create. It was NOT determined to be the optimal level for great health.

IMO vitamins, minerals and micronutrients all work hand-in hand. A deficency in one could cause the need for more of another, or the opposite, causing a dilitorious effect at a lower level.

For example, as I understand Calcium. Higher levels of calcium have been prescribed by doctors to prevent osteoporosis. HOWEVER, the heart disease rate is raised in those patients. Apparenly what was missed is the need for the K2 vitamin that controls the location that calcium is deposited. It will go into heart and artery muscle, and tartar on the teeth in a low K2 diet.

As doctors are generally not trained in foods and nutrition, their advice should be suspect.

I dont have Dr Lin's book on dental health in front of me so I cannot look to see if he suggests an optimal amount. He does recommend a number of fat soluable vitamins, that work syergistically, and a number of minerals, including many that are forgotton, like zinc. Given the food recommendations and the number of recipes for teeth/bone health, I am guessing he thinks eating foods are the most important source of A and other vitamins, as the chewing of foods is critical to mouth/jaw development.

Sorry this isnt exactly what you are looking for , but I hope it helps in some way.