View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 04:30

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Link to full Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price: http://journeytoforever.org/farm_li...e/pricetoc.html

For our purpose, it's the Inuits that give us the most pertinent element. Even though some of them have worn down their teeth right down to the gums, there's no indication of dental caries or exposure of the nerves or pain and such. This means for us who eat little or no carbs like wheat and sugar, our teeth should be maintained in the same way as the Inuits' teeth were maintained and even repaired to some degree.

Bear in mind this is pretty much the same thing as any other observational study - it can't show causality. However, in my opinion, it's a very special study. It compares (several pairs in different countries) two groups of same genetic stock, each eating very different diets, but most groups eating a modern diet eats the same modern diet (i.e. wheat and sugar). Also, it compares adults who adopted the modern diet, and their children who eat the same diet. So, for example, the adults also suffer but don't show the typical skeletal and dental deformities as their children do. In the case of their children, we're likely dealing with epigenetics, we'd have to look at Pottenger's work with cats (book: Pottenger's Cats: A Study In Nutrition). Anyways, the most in-your-face aspect of it is that none of these people used a tooth brush or tooth paste or any special dental hygiene, yet the groups who ate their traditional diet had near-perfect teeth (1 dental caries in about 2,000 teeth). Compare that to us, with tooth brushes, tooth paste, mouth wash, tongue scrapers and all kinds of other special stuff, we all got dental caries, nobody is immune. In Price's time, dental caries was a true epidemic, even he suffered from it.

For our purpose, epigenetics can't be fixed for us as adults, but it certainly gives us ample clue what to do with our kids.

I remember one experiment with wheat and dental caries, but I don't have a link and I forgot the name of that experiment. I think we discussed it here, not sure. Anyways, they found that wheat had a detrimental effect on the ability to repair tooth and surface damage. So basically the idea is that saliva contains stuff that repairs teeth, and wheat somehow changes that. Maybe it's got something to do with phytic acid contained in bran or maybe it's in wheat flour even if it doesn't have any bran, dunno. Phytic acid can bind to minerals like calcium, so if that's true then those minerals wouldn't be available for tooth repair. Makes sense to me. Doesn't matter if it's true or not, if we already quit wheat.