#9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-17, 15:06

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
dcc0455: how well do the ketone results of the MultiSure Glucose and Ketone meter compare to the $30 breathalyzer? Do you have to do some sort of conversion to compare them?

The MultiSure gives results in mmol/L and the breathalyzer displays in g/l and %BAC. The instructions of the breathalyzer says over .3 g/l is considered ketosis. I have read that an easy way to convert the g/l to mmol/L is to multiply by 10, then divide by 2, or just multiply by 5. I'm not sure how accurate that is but its what I have used. Last week, I took readings using all three methods within 10 minutes. The SmackFat Ketone test strip result was slightly darker than small, so just over 1.5mmol/L. The MultiSure Blood Ketone meter
read 2mmol/L. The breathalyzer had a result of .5g/l or 2.5mmol/L. I have not been checking with all three methods on a regular basis, but those results are typical, at those levels. I have been getting lower readings, with less agreement. For example, I have read a .2g/l on the breathalyzer with a negative stick and .5mmol/L on the MultiSure. My thinking is the breathalyzer may not be as accurate as the blood ketones but it does give you an idea of your ketone level. If it only lasts a few months, it is still way cheaper than checking blood, and still cheaper and more convenient than checking urine, when you consider you can use it as much as you need without any additional expense.