View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-16, 03:07

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiya Aaron, welcome to the forum.

When I started LCHF a little under a year ago I was determined to do whatever it took to make it sustainable for me, to make it into something that I would *want* to do not just today, but tomorrow as well. But it's important to understand that that doesn't have to mean going all-out from the get-go.

A lot of people here dive into an induction period when they get started, but I went about it slightly differently, in part because I was so sceptical that it would even work before I began. Once I understood that I had to reduce carbs and increase fat, I simply began doing the research on what sort of foods that meant I should be buying, and then I just started buying the right stuff and stopped buying the wrong stuff. But I did allow myself to use up what was left of the old stuff in my cupboards; it seemed silly at the time to let it go to waste.

It would have taken me maybe 2-3 weeks to complete the transition. Most things I ate as before, but a few other things like unopened jars and cans I gave to the local foodbank. By the time I was done, the only bad stuff I had left were two loaves of bread and half a tub of margarine, which in the end I just chucked out.

Part of the early advice I was given was to stick to items that were no more than 5g of net carbs per 100g of food. I thought that was too limiting at first, so I started by allowing myself up to 10g, then over time as I did more research and discovered more new options to try, I was able to gradually lower myself to 5g/100g as originally recommended. For the last 6 months or so now, the only thing in my house that's more then 5g is a bottle of "low sugar" tomato sauce which comes in at 15g, but I allow it for three reasons: I'm too terrible in the kitchen to be bothered making my own, it's the lowest carb tomato sauce I can find, and I don't eat it 100g at a time; it's just a little dollop on my bunless burgers.

Give yourself every opportunity to learn more about this WOE (way of eating). Don't assume you'll be sticking to the same meals all day every day; in fact don't even allow it. Keep exploring for options so you don't get bored, and keep reading about new developments in the field. Previous replies have already offered several good resources to that end, and there is no shortage of useful advice throughout the rest of this forum as well.

Good luck mate.