View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 09:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi Sue -

Thanks for asking the question. It's been on my mind since I started back mid-Sept.

In a nut shell, I do not subscribe to the "one shot, last shot" theory. Quite honestly, I think it has more to do with how our body works and how truly dedicated to eating on plan one is. Barring medical issues, I believe wholeheartedly this LCWOL is truly the best way to combat obesity, diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer's...etc. etc.

I'll just post my experience, along with my thoughts...take it for what it might be worth to you and perhaps, others will glean something from it as well.

I started back to LCWOL because darn it, I was just tired of things not fitting, not feeling good all the time and crabby of fighting the sugar monster. I guess something clicked and I was all in.

I had lost 50-60 lbs maybe 15 years ago and gained all that and then some due to some very stressful years and not being careful and mindful of what I was doing. Besides the feelings, I firmly believe the anti-anxiety pill I was on wasn't helping either...I just had to make some changes. And so I did.

It has been a struggle to get to today's weight, 219...a mere 23 pounds. I'm happy that things are fitting better as well as the increased concentration, the energy and the overall better feeling I have. But I continually wondered why the weight wasn't sliding off as before. I would lose a little then bounce around that number forever, or so it seemed. I was uber-frustrated yet I am proud for sure of the fact that I have gotten this far without giving up.

I have read and re-read all the threads about carbs, calories, upping the fat, decreasing protein...oh good grief I read....including 4 books and over and over the article about why the scale lies. I was absolutely certain at one point the scale was just there to frustrate me.

I've been cheat free for months with the exception of Christmas day. And even then, I didn't go hog wild; I just enjoyed the day and then paid dearly for it for several days afterward. UGH!!

Since Jan 1, I've lost 7.6 lbs...a third of my total losses. Hmmmm...I think.

What I realized was that I never really did a super clean start. There is a reason for induction and it is to switch the body from burning what you put in to rather burning it's own fuel supply (ie the fat we so want to get rid of) I just decreased my carbs as well as calories and thought I was doing a great job. And, at 47, losing slow just seemed like "it is what it is".

I continued to wonder why so darn slow and the more I read, the more I realized what I could be doing. I had to take some more drastic steps. In fact, it was me not getting the carbs low enough.

At the end of Jan (the 25/26th) I started doing just meat and eggs, a couple cups of coffee with HWC and water. NOW, the pounds are moving; still a great deal of energy, no (or less ) brain fog and best of all, NO HUNGER!! My object was to get the carbs down as low as I could. And, it seems to be working. Total since Jan 1 is 7.6 pounds...like I said, more than 1/3 of my total. Yup...I'm happy.

I read the forum on a daily basis as it keeps me motivated and inspired. So many ladies (and gents) have lost a ton of weight collectively and I enjoy realizing I am not alone. It's hard to lose weight and it just doesn't matter whether it's one pound, 50 pounds or 500 lbs...It's freakin' hard!!

While still acknowledging that every body is different, I can't say this enough. The science and success stories are there to show that this way of eating works. But it takes a genuine commitment to the plan, as it is written and without deviation. Eating LC comes with its inherent risks...like "just one bite" WILL unravel all your efforts and set you back to square one. It's there that so many give up and give in instead of realizing that had they just passed on that one bite, one bag, one drink, they would be off to a much better start. It's what keeps me from even trying one.

We all struggle and it's wonderful to have this forum to learn from others, gather information and truly be engaged in our own journey.

Thanks for letting me air my thoughts - many wishes for your continued success -

Deanna