Old Sat, Jun-15-13, 09:15
Registered Member

Plan: Independent
Stats: 200/200/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I was actually thinking about this earlier, looking at LoveMagnet's protein intake. I see a lot of arguments that we need "extra protein" on a low carb diet, to preserve lean mass etc. But... if we really need only 30 grams of glucose a day, and half of that can come from glycerol, then how much do we really need? In total starvation, I've seen studies where protein loss was only about seven percent of calories after about three weeks. And children on the ketogenic diet manage to be in positive nitrogen balance (grow) with a pretty low protein percentage (but kids can eat a lot of food).

Not sure what my point is. Maybe I just like hearing myself talk today.

Oh yeah, the fruitarians. Some long-term fruitarians really look like they're wasting away--but I'm amazed at how long this seems to take. (I tend to believe these guy's claimed diets precisely because they're wasting away).

I think people generally need a lot less protein than even most low carb diets suggest. That's only based on my personal experience, though.

I've been eating 40-45 grams of total protein daily for several years and it does not appear that I have lost any muscle mass. But, again, I don't work out at all. If you work out you'll need more than I eat.