#5   ^
Old Sat, May-04-13, 08:46

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
EPA is a form of omega 3. It's found in animal products, and it's the form I'd like to have for it's anti-inflammatory properties.

The form of omega 3 found in plants is ALA. The body can convert some ALA to EPA, but it's very inefficient - maybe 5% gets converted. That's why vegetarians are at a disadvantage here.

That's so interesting. I'd heard that flax was an incomplete form of Omega 3, now I know why. And, actually, I guess I'd been thinking of Omega 3 fatty acids as one type of fatty acid - I now better understand it's a cluster of FAs. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
My alternate source is from a bigger operation out of Colorado, I think. It's lean:fat ratio is 85/15 or 80/20 (I can't remember) and costs $8/pound. As you say, very expensive.

I used to buy from a Texas panhandle rancher who'd swing through Texas every 2 months delivering. I started buying from him right after I read Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, so maybe 5 years ago? It was interesting to watch his operation develop as he started pitching the low fat content of grass fed, but gradually began to offer higher fat options (90/10 and 80/20 ground beef). Organs were at first processed into "pet sticks", now there is so much demand they are sold separately, and they used discards from other ranchers to make the pet sticks. And recently he began providing pure pork or beef fat by the pound. I'm sure it's the influence of the Paleo Movement. He does ship meat by Fedex and if you are considering ordering from Colorado, you might take a look at his site as well. I'd be happy to send you his info if you like.