View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-13, 20:39

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

For the rabbits, you don't eat your "old ladies." Trust me, you don't really want to eat an old rabbit. On average, you eat the rabbit when its 4-6 lbs, appx 3 months old. If you eat a rabbit over 6 months old, you have to really crock pot it. I ate a 2 yr old buck only a few weeks ago, I crock potted him all day and he was still chewey.

Hunting is not all that cheap, the bullets is the cheap part. You have to take the hunter safety course/test, get the liscense for hunting that spacific variety. Then theirs tags for things like deer, and possibly other big game. We don't have a lot of big game here and we don't have quite the wide open space others are taking about. Its not easy, sit all day in a blind and not see anything, or they are within sight but too far away. The turkey are interesting, gives a nice challenge Squirrel has to be one of the easiest for us, but you don't get much meat from a squirrel. We like to fish in the summer, put out trout lines and check them 4 times throught the night. Trout lines are lines with 115-14 hooks on them, put them in the river or a deep crick. We check them ever few hours and on a good night we will get 40-50 catfish and some other less desirable but eddible. I don't like to let any meat go to waste