View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 20:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's all this article appears to be...opinion. He doesn't back up any of his statements with references to published studies.
Ketones are known to be bad for the kidneys? What study showed that?

Okay...it takes 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of beef. How many pounds of grain does it take to produce range fed beef? How about chicken, turkey, fish or eggs...or even tofu?
Funny thing is, I don't really eat more meat on low carb than I did before. What I do eat a lot more of is fat...particulary olive oil (no grain feeding involved there) and flax oil. It's interesting that he makes mention that the Ice Man was found to have been eating grains. The specific grain wasn't mentioned but it was flax (otherwise known as linseed)...a very low carb grain high in omega 3 fatty acids and fiber. It wasn't wheat.

Okay...Asians eat rice as a staple of their diets. Did it ever occur to you that most of the poeple in those countries have no concept of what free time is? How about the fact that they walk or ride a bike everywhere they go and that they aren't sitting on their butts all day watching movies and TV? In general, those cultures are far more physically active than western countries are. Those that are physically more active can afford to eat more carbs than those who are not. Rice is also probably the highest carb food that they eat and it's not in the portions that everyone thinks; another good portion of their diets is made up of mostly very low carb vegetables. Another point to ponder is that while they may be slimmer, are they healthier? New studies are showing that's not necessarily the case. They also have a much higher incidence of stomach cancer and strokes. I'd also like to point out that diabetes is growing fastest in Asian countries at the current time.

Last, where has anyone said that the majority of the world should be consuming 20 grams of carb or less per day and eating half a cow at one sitting? BTW...the article also misquotes Dr. Atkins on what maintainance levels of carb would be for most people...it's 60 grams, not 40 and many people here maintain on more than that. That's an awful lot of veggies and would also include fruit and some whole grains as well.