View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 16:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/197/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi, Krysti. I'm a newbie at LCing, but I've done lots of dieting in the past. I actually started Atkins for my health, the weight loss being secondary. The induction was quite trying and I felt headachy all the time. But, once I got past that I've had mostly great days. The terrible pressure and bloating that I always had has gone. Also, a pain that was with me for two years has all but vanished. The Dr's were going to remove my gall bladder, even though they didn't find evidence of stones, but now I wouldn't have that surgery if you paid me. I believe my liver was in pain due to inflammation, which was due to all the carbs I consumed. Of course, I added to my own misery by drinking WAY too much, because I was unhappy with my life for awhile.

So, for me any weight loss is a bonus, but my health has taken such a turn for the better that I will never go back to carb eating, whether dieting, or not. As some stated, some people need more carbs than others, so it's all about balance. However, for most of us it took a good long time to put us in the predicament where we needed to lose weight and it is not realistic to expect results in short order.

Also, researching through the power of google can be ruinous to one's mind. I'm guilty of this big time, but I am now forcing myself NOT to look at sites that refute the LC WOE. At some point we have to use our instincts and trust that we are following a better way. Obviously the way we were doing things before wasn't working that great, or we would never have started low-carbing in the first place.

Wheat is poison, as are vegetable oils and sugar. I wish I lived in a world where I could eat cinnamon buns again, without consequence, but that world doesn't exist. I'm staking my claim on some kind of low-carb lifestyle, and am hoping that over the next year I figure out a good balance for myself.

You have already done amazingly well just starting. You should be really proud of the fact that you had the courage to begin Atkins and the fortitude to get through induction. Stay the course...we're all in the same boat!