Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 02:04
Registered Member

Plan: Somewhat Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
Well, there sure are a plethora of studies showing the effectiveness of statins (i.e., reducing mortality) but no one on here wants to believe them. I've searched and searched for both sides of the story and studies showing they are effective are way more plentiful than those showing they aren't.

Personally, I'm going with: they are effective. My father died of a heart attack at 56 (pre-statins) but his sister has taken statins since they came out in the late 80's. She's 86 and still up running around. I have other relatives in their 80's also on statins. No side effects. Alive. I'm going with what works in my family.

If my father died of a heart attack at 56, I would also take statins. But someone like my mother, who has muscle pain and feels horrible while on statins, should probably not take them. She can control her cholesterol through diet alone. Statins have been heavily researched via big pharma b/c they are huge money makers, but these studies are rigorous and show proven benefit for many.