Old Thu, Dec-01-11, 16:14

Plan: General low-carb/sugar
Stats: 185/185/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberleyb
Hi all,

Long story but my doc has advised that I up my carbs a bit due to getting insane sugar cravings with my reactive hypoglycemia. Basically I am not eating enough carbs, she reckons, to give my body a signal that it has it's carbs and can stop craving.

I had been eating 20-60g of carb a day and the carbiest things I ever had were cauliflower, eggplant/aubergine, a few berries etc. No grains, root vegetables or anything like that.

She's not saying to go back to white bread or anything, but she suggested I do have a slice of rye/wholegrain bread or half a sweet potato or a bit of quinoa with my meals. Hmmm I find this scary after eating so low carb for so long. And I'm NOT going to eat the 50g per meal she suggested - waaaay too much for me! But the sugar cravings at the moment are insane so I have to try something at least.

Any tips? She suggested if i'm not keen on adding back grains, I go for root veg first. What do you think? Has anyone done anything like this? Is there a diet that focuses on the sort of thing I need that I could look up for more info?

Thanks,
K x

I'm not an expert or anything, but do you take any probiotics at all? I've read that candida overgrowth in our guts often causes uncontrollable cravings. Having said that, I have whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter almost every morning and I do think it helps me not crave carbs/sugar too much. I also eat a square of 85% dark chocolate if I want sweets. Not sure if you can have that with your medical condition, but if you can maybe try that and see if you are okay craving-wise. I'm kind of in the mindset that if you are craving foods that badly, something about your diet is wrong, regardless if you are losing weight or not. Good luck!