Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/190/135 Female 64in
BF:47.5
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
What does your microbiology text say, and have your teachers noted the contradiction?

Unfortunately I had borrow my micro text so I do not still own it, but I remember it said specifically, "There is zero requirement of dietary carbohydrate." But we didn't get into that in class. We were taught the Krebs cycle with the glucose molecule. We were not required to learn the energy pathways of dietary fat or ketosis. I did look it up in the book and I noticed that metabolism of fat creates more ATP energy molecules than glucose. Something like 4 to 2 respectively. Sounds like a better deal to me. My teacher was also overweight and could be bribed with Snickers bars. I remember asking about the fat molecule's role in the energy cycle and was told we simply used glucose "as an example, because there is not enough time". As for my nursing teachers, I don't get into it with them. It's not worth it and I'm too shy and I don't have studies at the ready to back myself up. If asked (students have asked), they do say that a low-carb diet produces ketoacidosis. I just let it be and tell all my co-students later how wrong they are. Basically, I haven't read anything yet that is specifically wrong, just confusing. The books are constantly not clarifying "dietary carbs" and "blood glucose", treating them as one of the same, nor do they clarify ketosis and ketoacidosis. I hear over and over glucose is needed for energy. Makes one want to run over to the vending machine for some candy bar energy. I would probably speak up more if I had studies that proved ketosis doesn't cause a decrease in blood ph, or studies showing the ideal range of blood sugar and how much blood sugar any particular body cell needs for optimal function, you know, good studies, not biased ones. Anyone know of any?