Registered Member

Plan: Thompson Low Gly. Load
Stats: 344/318/200 Male 71.5
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by <big
Hello people...

My name is Tony, I'm originally from London, UK but now live with my gorgeous wife and family in sunny Weymouth on the UK's south coast.

I began my career in dieting 28 years ago after putting on around 3 stones as a teenager. My weight has been an issue all my adult life, at my heaviest I was 23 stones! I've tried diets based on low fat, calorie control, points systems, red & green days, etc. etc. In my experience they are all completely unsustainable in the long term...

About 8 months ago my wife read an article about low-carb diets and after some research bought this book: http://www.drbriffa.com/waist-disposal/ ... I've since discovered this LC plan is virtually the same as the Paleo diet.

From the moment I started reading the science behind this healthy eating plan I was hooked. I haven't been hungry once, and have not craved a single carb... what a revelation! It has given me so much more energy and has prompted me to start exercising regularly... it really has been life changing. My body is now starting to look the way I always dreamed it would.

I'm so happy to be <big (less than BIG)

Tony

I wish I could say the same!
My lifetime of malnutrition goes a lot further back than yours, and I also have experience of every "System" there ever was!

Low carb has restored me to relatively WELL again, so don't get the idea that I am not a big fan, as I don't suffer sever hypoglycaemic episodes at all any more, but I haven't lost anything like the weight I would like to, and I find every day a food hell, and consider my insulin resistance to be at best a sick twist, of fate, at worst a life sentence!
I lost some weight initially, but just about NONE in the past 12 months, despite being fairly severe on eating as low a carb diet as practical.

Before my health "died" in about 2003 I did massively well, (and quickly!) on a low fat, low calorie high fibre regime, losing 9.5 stones, and I actually felt THIN - and I held that great weight from 1996 to 2003, until worsening health as well as surgery meant I could not continue to exercise the way I did. The weight returned with a VENGEANCE, even eating failry well and under control, but with it advancing years and circumstances meant insulin resistance too, and it had me very ill!

Now, eating Low carb controls that Insulin resistance totally, and means I don't have to starve as I would have to on a low calorie diet, to avoid gaining more weight, but the weight loss is not something I find very impressive, to do that I would need to exercise FAR far more, which unfortunately, I find impossible now.

I would suggest whatever method you use to diet, exercise has far more effect on body mass. Low carb works the way it does by simply not allowing the insulin to store fat, but in itself it does nothing for REDUCING the existing flab, it's exercise that does that. Take EXTRA exercise away, and like me all that happens is you hover around your existing weight, I can eat VERY low calorie (and LC too) and barely lose an ounce, I just feel totally STARVED, similarly I can eat BUCKETLOADS of food, and I mean EXCESSIVE, as long as it has no carb content, and I never rise more than 1kg even after a couple of weeks of excess - probably it's only the weight of the food itself!

Increasing muscle mass loses far more flab than cardio work too, as that's what burns calories when you are NOT actively exercising, that's what I desperately miss having! :-(