Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 22:35
Registered Member

Plan: Caveman
Stats: 175/160/120 Female 5'66"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Hashimoto's thyroiditis and weight loss

Hi

I posted a little while ago about my having low iron levels as over the last two months I have been feeling weak, with other symptoms that seemed like iron anemia, and although I have Hashimoto's the blood tests were coming ok, well that's what the doctor said.

Unfortunately I don't have a family doctor, so I have to go to the walk in clinics, which don't offer the same level of care, but it is a starting point. This is a big problem, but not one that I can do much about until such time arrives that I have a doctor again.

Anyway, today I was back at the walk in clinic to find out my blood test results from last week.

Surprise surprise. I don't know why the thyroid tests have been coming up as ok, or if the information got lost or mixed up, or doctors didn't read it properly, or what.

It turns out that iron levels are ok (according to the doctor) at 65 in the 15-180 range that they use for iron levels.

But anti thyroid peroxidase is at 2570 out of the 35 IU/mL that they go by. The report says 'this very high result strongly suggests Hashimoto's thyroditis'. Which I knew I had, basically from a scan I had done many years ago, and in more recent years from blood work. I am on synthroid 0.075 mg

Anyway, the doctor said he will send an urgent referral to an endocronologist and that hopefully I should be seen soon. He didn't change my medication as he wants the endocronologist to deal with this one.

I have been on Atkins since October 2009. I lost my first 10 pounds easily, but not a gram after that, no matter how much I diet the scale won't move. Now I think it must be related to the thyroid, or at least I hope so because then there is a chance I might get the help I want and need.

I would like to hear from others on the forum who may have been in similar circumstances, what was their treatment? do you feel better now? are you able to loose weight now? etc anything else that you might want to ad

also the blood test has a low hemoglobin at 118 out of the 120-150 range, but I didn't ask the doctor what this is about as I didn't notice it and he didn't bring it up either. Anyone knows?

Thank you all

Katz
Sponsored Links