#10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-09, 16:15

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
Has anyone lost any weight just by eliminating all non-paleo foods and not restricting carbs?

Yes. I guess I didn't have a massive amount to lose though, so maybe that was a factor. I lost about 30 lbs and have kept it off for several years now. I eat fairly high carb, around 75-100 grams a day.

I don't think fiber is bad, but many of us have damaged guts and it's like sandpapering them.

As far as antioxidants, evidence to prescribe their use is pretty sketchy. I've seen some good studies but can't seem to find them ATM. This has some discussion http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.c...pidemic_19.html

"

"Antioxidants" work great in a test tube but they don't contribute meaningfully to the body's antioxidant capacity. Our primary blood antioxidants, for example, are uric acid, vitamin C and vitamin E. Nothing magical there. Polyphenols from green tea, chocolate, vegetables, fruit etc. make almost no contribution to blood antioxidant status."

Oh wait, I found it
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....es-re-post.html
Quote:
Never mind the green tea bit, that turned out to be irrelevant. It's what happened when almost all fruit and vegetables were removed from the diet of the volunteers for 10 weeks that's interesting. The result being:

"The overall effect of the 10-week period without dietary fruits and vegetables was a decrease in oxidative damage to DNA, blood proteins, and plasma lipids, concomitantly with marked changes in antioxidative defence."

This later study was NOT a low carb study. Potatoes, bread and cake were all included in the sample menus provided in the full text. Please note the DECREASE in oxidative damage to your genes, your protein structure and your lipids. Great stuff fruit, when you put it in the bin.

The conclusion seems to be that there is something nasty in fruit and vegetables, something pro-oxidant. You just have to ask yourself why a plant should manufacture an antioxidant in the first place. You can bet your bottom dollar that it was not for the benefit of herbivores! No, plants hate herbivores and negotiate with substances like strychnine rather than antioxidants.