Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 01:00

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Kimberleyb,

I'll do my best to reply to your post:

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Gosh please don't worry - my goal weight was the weight I was two years ago before my accident. I was between a UK size 8-10, so slim but not skinny (no bones visible or anything).

So you used to weigh 50kg? Once, after a relationship break-up, I went down to 47kg. That was way too thin. But, if you say, that you don't get boney at that weight, then it could well be an OK weight for you. But I bet you don't have much extra padding anywhere at that weight, do you?

Quote:
I don't trust the BMI thing, because it doesn't take into account the fact that I..ahem...have no boobs to speak off. I am supposed to have the frame of a long-distance runner.

One thing that will give you a bit more upstairs is eating more fat. Boobs are mostly fat, which is why all those female athletes look flat-chested. They have no body fat, hence no boobs.

Quote:
Athough my BMI at this weight is supposedly healthy, I am walking around with my belly sticking out the same amount as my boobs! That can't be healthy and I will not do that the rest of my life!

Accumulating weight around the midsection is something which Dr Schwarzbein mentions in her book. It is something to do with insulin, but I haven't got my head round all the science yet. You could always try and get this book out of your local library if you don't want to invest the money. I am sure if they don't have it in stock, they can order it from elsewhere.

Quote:
I'm not in starvation mode - I eat A LOT!

GOOD!!!

Quote:
Typical day:
Brek: 1-carb sausages or 2 boiled eggs
Lunch: Lots of chicken mayo with handful salad
Dinner: 2 steaks or cheese and ham omelette etc
Snacks: pepperami, salami
Drnks: Diet soft drinks, coffe, herbal tea, water, NO alhohol
No real cheats to speak of (the occasional carrot or strawberries)

So, basically, you're not eating ANY carbs???

Quote:
I have read DANDR and Protein Power, but maybe I should re-read as it was about a year ago.

Neither of these books go into the effect of a VLC diet on your hormones. I shall go and grab my SPII right now and see what she says about VLC diets. I think this is not the way for you to go, and that this way of eating is probably doing you some harm.

Quote:
What I meant was eating 'pure food' is that sometimes I have used pre-packaged chicken mayo, egg mayo and stuff, which must have preservatives etc in them.

If you are a single lady living on your own with a full-time job, this is understandable. But, yes, there will be more chemical additives in stuff like this. I don't make my own mayo, (I keep meaning to, but the way to hell is paved with good intentions and all that...). They could be having some kind of negative effect.

Quote:
Their carb counts are very low, but maybe the artificial stuff is throwing me off- does that happen? Same re sugar-free drinks?

The problem with sugar-free drinks, apparently, is that they completely confuse your body. Rats fed drinks like this ended up eating more food, if I remember one study correctly. They got the diet coke or whatever lab rats get, thought they were getting some actual food, but weren't, and then ate more than the lab rats who got sugared drinks. Artificial sweeteners are dangerous, IMHO. I have never liked the taste of them so I never went near them. I put half a teaspoon of raw cane sugar in my coffee, which is only 3g of carbs, which is not going to kill me.

Quote:
I am not depriving mself of food although stuff in the distant past has probably screwed my metabolism.

It may well be possible...

Quote:
Does this help any?

YUP!!!

amanda