#97   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 05:36

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkorn
Fat intake has increased from 1909 to to 1974 (citation bellow) as obesity has skyrocketed, although I don't think this is why obesity has increased, I think it is the nutrient content of the fat and possibly also the fat type are responsible.

Increasing Fat Intake from 1909 to 1974:
http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/c...Part_2/3246.pdf

I think the problem with grains in our diet is that they have had the fat removed to extend shelf life. The fats in wheat germ oil and rice bran oil are much higher in nutrients that the fats in even grass fed animals. Over 90% of the grains in our diet are like this, even whole wheat. Unless a grain says it is 100% whole wheat, it has been defatted to extends shelf life. This is the part of the of wheat and rice that are biologically most similar to fruits and vegetables. They contains vitamins A, B, and E, minerals, coenzyme Q10, phytochemicals, and likely other nutrient substances we haven't identified. There are also likely other things in grain kernel that we are discarding besides that fat that have nutritive properties.

I am not claiming all animal fat is bad for us, the French eat much more animal fat that we do and have lower rates of heart disease, however, in the United States, people who eat less animal fat have less heart disease. The difference appears to be that in France cows are grass fed, and have a different fat content and nutrient type than American cows.

While I didn't taste fruits and vegetables 150 years ago, fruits and vegetables are much less sweeter in the U.S. than in Israel where obesity is much lower. I spent a summer in Jerusalem a couple years ago, and I was shocked at how good the produce tasted. It took me a long time to figure out why. It is likely the lower use of chemical pesticides that leads to a higher nutrient content. In Israel, starting in 1983, the government started to phase out chemical pesticides. They introduced owls and krells (a type of falcon) onto farms to eat rats and insects. The lower use of pesticides means higher anti-oxidants. In a sence, regular Israeli fruits and vegetables are like American organic fruits and vegetables.

Owls Replace Pesticides in Israel:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8004426.stm

Ok, you ARE ignoring the refined grains and sugar part of this equation. THOSE have skyrocketed as well. What I believe is that it's the refined carbohydrates that have caused the issue, NOT the fat. I also suggest you read Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories" as he is FAR more eloquent than I about this topic.

Even before I read that book, though, I KNEW that the "experts" were wrong. I finally started listening to my body. That is why I cannot agree with you. You can deal with theories all you want -- I see actual, real changes, HEALTHY changes, when I cut out the grains and sugars, including sweet fruit. There may be people out there whose problems are caused by deficiencies, or perhaps the deficiencies go along with health problems caused by grains and sugars. Your theories are interesting, I think not quite based in the entire picture of what happened to our nation's health (but understandable given what the focus has been in our media and our educational system).

Again, please read GCBC, or at least the first chapter. I don't even agree with everything he says (I do disagree with him on exercise, because I think exercise helps level out insulin even if we match our eating to our activity level), but he at least has all the information put together in a very readable format.

Take care!