#61   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 20:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
OMG. You said, " Egg Custard " !!!!I'd like to bake some flan, but don't even know if one can use heavy whipping cream plus water, in place of the milk to mix together with egg yolks.
Yes you can mix heavy cream with water (or just use it straight) to make great flans & custards. Since a properly-cooked egg custard takes 45-60 minutes in a water bath in a 300 degree oven, I came up with a quick microwave custard that I often have for breakfast:

3 whole eggs
3-4T heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash salt
sweetener to taste

Blend in Magic Bullet (tall cup & flattish blade), nuke on high for 60 seconds in the MB cup (uncovered); blend again, nuke for another 30-40 seconds, blend again and then let it sit on the counter to cook the rest of the way on its own. I eat it right out of the MB cup with a parfait spoon. If you don't have a Magic Bullet, a stick blender in a tall cup should work too. These times are for my microwave, so YMMV, but start low - you can always cook a little longer. I don't add any water, but if you do, extra seconds are in order. Finding the best timing & blending gives a nice smooth custard, but even my lumpy trials tasted great. This breakfast keeps me satisfied for 5-6 hrs.
Sponsored Links