#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 13:42

Plan: don't know
Stats: 262/261/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Question Advice for PCOS

Hallo,

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1997. I was 160lbs, and my only other symptoms were amennorea (Sp?), severe acne, and dark patches of skin. At that time I was put on BCP's, and I went on antibiotics for 3 years, followed by acutane for 6 months (which I'll never do again).

Since then I've had that diagnosis confirmed with 2 other doctors (each doctor didn't 'believe' in the previous diagnosis, I suppose) in 2000 and 2004. I am now 260lbs ::cries:: which is about 15lbs lighter than I was a few years ago. I have excessive hirsutism on my chin and upper lip that I pluck obsessively. Still got the bad acne and dark patches of skin and amennorea, which went from a period every 6 months, to having two periods (one induced with progesterone) since I stopped the BCP in 2001. Depression, my hair has thinned out considerably (I used to have very thick and full hair, now it's fine and very thin). I have about every symptom in the book EXCEPT for sleep apnea/breathing problems, and high blood pressure.

Though my husband and I have thrown the thought of having children naturally out the door, I've begun to try and get treatments for it again recently, because I've had some other issues come up that I am not sure are from the PCOS, including no sex drive (isn't my husband lucky?) and being highly irritable, as well as anxiety. I also have constant sinus/respiratory infections. (yuck) Probably the most agitating for me has been issues with memory loss.

My previous treatments included Welbutrin XL/Bruproprion for the depression/anxiety and Metformin for insulin/pregnancy issues. My body had bad reactions to the Metformin, and I stopped taking all pills altogether after a year.

For the past 2 months I've been working out at a facility for 30min-1hr, 3-5 times a week and my diet is good and dr. approved, though I have not tried low-carb dieting. That is part of the reason I am here. In the past two months, I have GAINED 1lb.
I saw my doctor (who I do love, though he can be stubborn) and he has decided to put me on Spironolact for the hirsutism and possible help with the weight issue, as well as the Bruproprion again. I am scheduled to have my potassium levels tested in a month, from the Spironolact. This is where I currently stand.

Okay, so that is all about me.

I would love to hear if any of you experience similar issues with your PCOS, since I know everyone is different, and what you have done that has worked/helped. I need it! And I would love to hear from others that are 'overcoming' it. As well as how well the low-card diet has worked for you. I must say I am very reluctant, as I am a carb-maniac. Has it really shown improvement with the weight loss and any other pcos related issues?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links