View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 14:11

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%
Question Bernstein Macronutrients

Okay - here is the deal. I hope some seasoned Bernstein followers can help meout. Let me say, I did read a library copy of the book and need to order a copy for my home.

I was diagnosed a little over a month ago w/ T2 diabetes - no meds. I got myself a glucometer and I test 'till the cows come home and then test again. I need stock in these test strips! I followed a low carb diet, lost 9 lbs in July and got my number to under 120mg/dl 2 hr post meal. I actually got my numbers to linger close to 100mg/dl on average.

My BIL came to visit us and stayed for a little under two weeks. My food intake stayed low carb but, my schedule was a bit off. I usually eat every four hours and of course, on vacation, I woke up when I normally ate breakfast.

Now, I'm back on normal schedule but, my numbers have crept up to 120mg/dl-125mg/dl and I can't seem to get them down. Plus, I think I am experiencing Dawn Phenomenon which I either didn't figure out previous my vacation or has started since. My sugar spikes to about 125mg/dl-130mg/dl at 8am and I noticed it spiked at 4am. I'm not sure if this is our natural rhythm or I should be concerned because I know fasting BS should be 70-100 no? I've tried a few things with nothing working so far.

I'm considering getting a little stricter with my food intake. I know Bernstein suggests 30 grams carbs daily (which I follow), I know he suggests also to break it down to 6-12-12/snacks being no carbs.

What I am wondering is what does he suggest for the rest of the macronutrients protein/fats per meal?

Anyone who can answer that question and lend advice to any of the aforementioned, I will be very appreciative.

~Danielle
Sponsored Links