Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 22:49
Registered Member

Plan: LC for BG control
Stats: 278/196/000 Female 65.5"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
This is not a true statement that you made. A larger body size does not equal a higher tolerance for carbs. A more efficient metabolism, usually improved by weight loss and exercise and a low carb diet can lead to better carb tolerance....

I can use myself as an example. At my peek high weight, my carb tolerance was about 10g and could not maintain control with medication, now at a lesser weight and without medication I have a carb tolerance above 60g and maintain control.

I did say '_may_ decrease.' Using yourself as an example, are you comparing your carb tolerance, not only at your peak weight, but just beginning to low carb and still running high BGs with high insulin levels? Both of those add to insulin resistance, possibly more than the weight does. My Triglyceride/HDL ratio went from 138/48 = 2.875 to 77/54 = 1.426 in about six weeks after low carbing (and not even all that low) for only about 2 weeks, I had only lost 9 lbs. Even after losing more weight that ratio has not changed significantly.