View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 15:11

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Here is a very interesting article/excerpt regarding dysbiosis and its connection with many psychological conditions such as autism, AD(H)D, etc. The PDF is an excert from a book titled Gut and Psychology Syndrome' (GAP syndrome or GAPS) by Dr. N. Campbell-McBride.

Due to copyright & trademarks, I am not reposting any content in this thread, but below is the link to the PDF document:

http://www.behealthy.org.uk/gaps.pdf

I read this just shaking my head, saying to myself... this just makes so much sense! Wow! Now the ultimate question is, how to best go about correcting it! Very low-carb. diet is of course a widely-agreed upon approach, of course. But what else can we do?

Probiotics, of course. Which ones are best? What is an optimal daily intake? Are capsuled supplement ones acceptable, or should we rely mainly on fermented foods like saurkraut (sp!) and yoghurt that have live cultures in them? There is a lot of debate as to whether commerically prepared probiotic supplements are of any benefit, but I tend to float on the optimistic side and hope that they do in fact pack a punch of bacteria into our systems when consumed.

Prebiotics - this is an area that is getting more and more attention these days. Inulin and FOS, to name a few. In my internet travels, Inulin appears to be the better accepted of the two -- it better selectively feeds the good bifidobacteria, and doesn't appreciably appeal to pathogens.

Natural anti-fungals and antimicrobials - Oil of oregano, garlic, coconut oil. These are all things that easily come to mind. But are these things also detrimental to the probiotic bacteria as well as the pathogenic guys?

These are some of the things I'll be trying to collect documentation on over time Please feel free to post documents and/or comments if you desire.

Cheers,