Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 02:46
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
congrats, Sara, on your month. I'm sure your MD told you to massage the scar- it hurts at first than it helps. But ask first- and ask on the plastic surgery site too. After my hysterectomy (long vertical scar) I massaged the scar and it is absolutely pain free- has been for years.

Rally glad you like the book- the best self-help Cog Therapy book is Feeling Good Handbok by David Burns, a student of Judith Beck's father Aaron Beck. It is more about anxiety and depression- not about weight.

later-
E

Hon,
The more we "talk" the more I realize we have in common. I really enjoy our interaction. I have started massaging the scar. I have a few little scabs left, but not too many itchy spots. I am putting some light lotion--Nivea Q10plus on it now. I am not quite ready for Mederma---I don't think it is closed/healed to that level yet. I'm not really worried about the scar. Right now it is raised enough that it looks like I'm wearing a G string under some clothing---no big deal, 'cause I just might be doing that.

I have the Burns book. I will go back and look at it. I bought it during my years of deep depression. I inherited genetic clinical depression. I did (and do) have to take medication for it...but, that has literally been a life saver. Since getting the right medication (I have a psychiatrist--M.D. who *knows* what she is doing), I am grateful to say that I have not had to deal with living in the "dark" zone! I have already consulted with my doctor following the general anesthesia. It has not thrown me this time---but, that is something that can happen.

I am VERY interested in the "brain" aspects of weight loss and maintenance. Everyone is different, of course, in what causes them to manifest obesity. I am not a "foodie." I don't enjoy the cooking or gourmet stuff. I'm not one to want a lot of variety, etc. I think I'm lucky in that way. I'm sure I have grown to be that way from having to live with a restricted diet for 26 years---food takes on a different meaning. But, I am easily addicted. I battle cravings....my brain actually feels wired that way. I am fascinated with using thoughts and behavioral practices to rewire my brain. Abstaining from higher levels of carbs is essential...the same as alcohol, but that is only part of the picture. Altering brain responses and/or behaviors is another necessity in my recovery. It is amazing to me that we can manifest through our thoughts----very powerful and an essential aspect of being *human.*
Sara<><