Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 17:18
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle
Well done, and congrats. I had the same operation a year ago (as well as 5 other operations to remove excess skin). unfortunately I had complications, but nearly a year on I am finally getting back to normal.
Congratulations again.

I am so sorry that you have had a hard time. I'm glad to know that you are feeling better now. You are helping me remember to caution people that my results are not necessarily typical--especially for someone with higher risks. I would feel terrible if someone went just off of my word and had complications.

Let me continue to give the REAL and full story. I did not go into this surgery without a lot of thought. As I mentioned, I've had type 1 diabetes for 26 years--so I know that makes me high risk. I have entered into a difficult time for type 1 diabetic women--menopause. My "female" hormones are all off of a predictable schedule and this makes my diabetes control CHAOTIC!! Arrghhh!#$#~ I think that is why I am so exuberant that I'm doing well. I have not written in this particular thread (I wrote about it in a thread I started right before I had the surgery), but I have been working very hard to prepare my body for the surgery. I am an insulin pump wearer. This year I began using a continuing glucose monitoring system. That means that I insert a sensor--a canula with a computer chip--under my skin. I attach a wireless transmitter to this which sends a constant message to my insulin pump. It does not measure BLOOD glucose, it measures body fluid. I have to check my BG often and update the calibrations, but this helps me spot when my BG levels are out of the normal range. It isn't fool-proof, and it is aggravating, but I feel that it helps me with my diabetes control. The most frustrating part is that the sensors are not covered by insurance and must be changed every 3 days---at $35.00 a piece!!!!

I have always used my belly as the area for inserting my insulin pump infusion sets and my new sensor system. Unfortunately, I cannot do that now. I am having trouble using my thighs...there is a lot more bleeding and bruising. I do think that ultimately, my control will be improved when I can get back to using my belly. The loose skin and years of atrophy from injections that were problematic are gone.

I understand that true healing from this type of surgery is a lengthy process.....I am having to remind myself of this now. Cabin fever is setting in. I feel good and it isn't automatic to take it easy. I think posting on this forum will help. I REALLY WANT TO THANK Y'ALL FOR RESPONDING TO MY POSTS. YOU ARE HELPING ME SO MUCH!!
Sara<><