#11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-06, 18:54

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

It helps.

Next set of questions.

I always assumed that "uncontrolled diabetes" merely meant that, primarily, blood glucose levels were well elevated regardless of whether fat was being metabolized.

I envision a continuum of conditions, starting from (1) normal metabolism where a person has normal BG levels and excess glucose is converted to fat and stored. The next stage would be (2) where glucose can still be metabolized and stored, but not all of it and the rest is left in the blood resulting in high blood sugars. The next step is (3) where the excess sugars are sufficient to result in them being dumped in the urine. Next would be (4) where fat is beginning to be metabolized. I don't know that (4) always occurs after (3). If they can happen the other way around, I don't know that they must occur that way. But I would have called (2) uncontrolled diabetes. It sounds like, now, this might not be the case. That uncontrolled diabetes describes the case not only where the BG levels are substantially elevated but where fat metabolism is also occuring, correct? If so, then is state (2) even possible? If so, what term describes it?

I'm slowly getting there and appreciate the help.