Old Fri, Nov-10-06, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearWater
To my way of thinking if Kirstie Alley had lost X amount of weight in her private capacity, in her private time - then she can say she weighs whatever she wants. When she she is the spokesperson for a weight loss regime...honesty is important. Its all about the integrity of both the spokesman and the product that they are punting. Another more extreme example was when Clinton was pressed on whether he had sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky or not...in his private capacity no one cares, but in his public capacity people "cared" because it was symbolic of his honesty in the office he was presiding over. (an extreme example - I know, but I just want to delineate between certain concepts).

ItstheWoo, according to what you are saying, if one had to extrapolate a bit further, Where does one draw the line on honesty....? Why be honest at all?

I don't see how her being the spokesperson of Jenny Craig matters in her being honest about how fat she was at her heaviest. Celebrities rarely use the products they endorse. I don't think Jessica Simpson's beautiful skin depends on proactive solution, either.
Besides , even if we did assume she has an obligation to be truthful about her weight due to JC spokeswoman... it really can only be considered relevant that she remain truthful about how she lost, and how much she lost. As far as I know Kirstie has not had GBS or only lost like 20 pounds (when advertising 70). She DID do a regular diet, and she DID lose 70 lbs or close to it.

...So if she chooses not to say she once weighed 255, and now weighs 175 (or whatever the number is), I don't see how this shows a deal breaking lack of integrity or character.

As for Clinton... many people *do* think it is and was crazy how people made such a big deal about him lying about his affair (it's only his business after all). But, in Clinton's case, as the President of the United States. Whenever he lies, even if it is something *ridiculously trivial* like that, it makes the people nervous. It's understandable; he has a lot of responsibility to us, so he is expected to be honest and of good integrity. How adamantly he lied and continued to lie about it made everyone a little antsy for good reason.

Kirstie Alley is not the president. She has no responsibility to us.

As to "where we draw the line"... well, this is an ethical dilemma. Few people would consider ANY lie indicative of a lack of integrity. We lie and do not disclose things all the time; we are not open books and it is our right to remain private about things. But sometimes, we have to be honest and open, to be fair to other people. The question is answered by determining when information belongs to others, and not just to yourself; when it belongs to others as well, that is when it is wrong to lie or not disclose the truth. There is no formula to determine when it is or isn't okay; there are many factors to consider.

That said, I think it is pretty obvious this is NOT one of those times where it is important to be totally honest. I think a person only thinks that if they have an abnormally extreme view of weight as important.