Old Fri, Nov-10-06, 01:11
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampr
Well, it seems to me, the people who feel the need to lie about their weight are the ones that view weight as being overly "important". Otherwise, they wouldn't feel the need to lie.

Yes, HONESTY is closely connected with integrity. I hardly think that's an unusual association, or an unfair one.

I think what bothers me about KIRSTIE, is that she likes to give this pretense of being "straighforward and tell it like it is" gal.

I certainly don't think she deserves to be "hung" for the lying, but I believe she is lying, and I don't respect that.

On the otherhand, I DO respect her for the hard work she's put into losing the weight, however much it really is.

On the other hand, people who care about people who view weight as important (or important enough to lie about) are likely projecting their own size/weight issues.
If someone has a problem with an overweight /once overweight person who lies about their weight, that says to ME that person does not accept the concept of choice and weight. Which, depending on how I feel, that may bother me a whole lot.

There is a relationship between honesty and integrity, but this is only so when the information at hand is important and relevent. For example, it is important to be honest about some things about yourself - telling a partner about being married, or having an STD. To lie about such things is deceptive and shows a lack of integrity.
If the information is trivial and/or not anyones business, would you say it shows a lack of integrity to lie or not disclose? For example, is it dishonest to tell someone that you are taller than you are? Well it's not truthful, but I don't think anyone would much care about someone lying about their height by an inch or two. Height is such a trivial thing and it's not really anyone's business... it doesn't imply a lack of worth or integrity or deception to say you're 5'7 if you're really 5'6.

WHy, then, is there all this fuss about whether or not Ms Alley is honest about her weight?

This is only an issue because we view weight as this uber important thing, and for her to lie about it (ESPECIALLY when she is famous for losing weight) is like the ultimate in deceit. IT's like, lying about who you are (who ARE women besides their bodies, anyway? )

If a woman loses weight she becomes her weight loss. It's so sad but I see this over and over. Speaking personally, my life would be a whole lot easier if people stopped making it seem as if I exist because I am thin.

To lie about it is to have no integrity;
To fail is to have no worth.
To acknowledge its importance is to acknowledge that being overweight makes one worthless.

The real issue here is how we view weight as self definitive,
how people think about us for our weights,
how we think about ourselves for weight.
Sponsored Links